Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2022

338. A Farewell to Arms

A Farewell to Arms
Ernest Hemingway
1929
Around 355 pages








My sister moved out recently, leaving me somewhat sad and alone, with only a block of habanero cheddar to keep me company. Consequently, I have been trying to avoid listening to depressing music or watching any emotional movies. This novel would definitely fall under the "oh no no" category, but luckily, I knocked this out during my adolescent Hemingway phase.

Lieutenant Frederic Henry is an American medic serving in the Italian army during World War I. Frederic falls in love with a nurse, Catherine, and the two attempt to maintain a relationship despite the fact that Frederic is still fighting.

Hemingway sprang to my mind recently when I was reading about foreigners rushing to Ukraine to fight off the Russians. It seems crazy to me, but I guess it's naive to think soldiers are comprised mainly of the reluctant hero type. This was a beautifully tragic story, Hemingway at his very best.

You might think I wouldn't click with Hemingway and his hypermasculinity, but his willingness to be vulnerable always wins me over.

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

Catherine was based on Agnes von Kurowsky, a nurse who left Hemingway for an Italian officer. 

Banned in Italy.

Hemingway wrote 39 endings until he was satisfied.

UP NEXT: Passing by Nella Larsen. Hey girl, how've ya been?

No comments: