Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2022

339. Passing

Passing
Nella Larsen
1929
Around 150 pages












Man, I love a punchy novel. Like Quicksand, there was no padding here. I know some readers think the ending was too abrupt, but I felt it was the perfect length. I just wish she had written more novels.

Irene Redfield is a black woman living in Harlem. She grew up with Clare Kendry, but lost touch when Clare moved in with her maternal aunts. Clare passes as a white woman, and her husband Jack doesn't know of her ancestry. Irene reconnects with Clare and is horrified/fascinated by Clare's life and revolting husband. 

Once again, Larsen offers a brutally honest and necessary perspective. My heart broke for Irene. Larsen has incredible emotional intelligence.  That final scene is going to stick with me for a long time.

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

Adapted to film in 2021.

Translated into Danish, German, French, Spanish, Arabic, Hebrew, Japanese, and Italian.

UP NEXT: Hebdomeros by Giorgio De Chirico. This is a tough one to track down!

No comments: