Pages

Friday, March 10, 2023

438. Christ Stopped at Eboli

Christ Stopped at Eboli
Carlo Levi
1945
Around 280 pages











I remember I had a very difficult time finding the movie adaptation for my 1001 movie blog. The book version also wasn't available online, so I had to rely on a pdf version online. Way to be consistent, Christ Stopped at Eboli. 

Having already seen the movie, I already had a grasp on the misery that I would find between these pages. Carlo Levi was a doctor, writer, and painter who was exiled to southern Italy by Mussolini due to his anti fascist beliefs. Which is kinda weak as far as banishments go, it's like if I was banished to Maryland. Anyway, Levi is welcomed into the region with open arms, but the villages in the area are extremely poor. Carlo is moved by the poverty he witnesses and the indifference of the Italian government when it comes to providing basic needs to their people.

The condition of the villagers is really shocking and is the result of a multitude of factors, including neglect and the utter ineptitude of anybody who has adopted a leadership position. Ironically, many of the townspeople have photos of Roosevelt or American money as decorations. 

I can't speak for a Mr. Christ, but it's certainly clear that Mussolini didn't give a fuck what was going on in southern Italy. So good for Carlo Levi for shedding a light on people who need it.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Levi gave the town Aliano the invented name 'Gagliano' (based on the local pronunciation of Aliano).

UP NEXT: Arcanum 17 by Andre Breton

No comments: