Pages

Thursday, March 23, 2023

447. The Victim

The Victim
Saul Bellow
1947
Around 270 pages



















Saul Bellow has replaced Henry Green as an author that I am not too enthusiastic about, but I will still have to read most of his works. And much like Green, Bellow has interesting premises but I find his writing style a little dry.

Asa Leventhal is a Jewish copywriter who is constantly taking care of his brother Max's family, as Max has essentially abandoned his wife and two sons. Leventhal is confronted by a man named Kirby Allbee, who is "playing the victim," which is the worst accusation you can receive on reality television. He blames Leventhal for losing his job and ultimately ruining his life, because strangers can't stop blaming Jewish people for things. Which is essentially the entire theme of the novel.

I understand why Bellow would make Leventhal a largely passive character, because the themes at work here relate more to society's expectations on us, rather than the importance of free will. Still, it made for a rather frustrating read. I don't think I would have handled anything like Leventhal does, which makes it seem inaccessible. 

This really gave me Strangers on a Train vibes, I wonder if Hitchcock was inspired by this novel.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Bellow had his fourth child when he was 84.

UP NEXT: The Plague by Albert Camus

1 comment:

Diana said...

"Bellow had his fourth child when he was 84." This is amazing.