Pages

Tuesday, May 16, 2023

485. Go Tell It on the Mountain

Go Tell It On the Mountain
James Baldwin
1953
Around 260 pages












I knew this was going to be a heavy and disturbing read, but it's been awhile since the List traumatized me, so I was ready. As expected, there are certain images from this book that are going to stay with me. And I might have Amanda-nesia, but I believe this is the first novel to really tackle the life of a black gay man. Please correct me in the comments if I'm wrong.

The novel tells the story of John Grimes, a teenager in 1930s Harlem, who is raised by a violent and religious stepfather Gabriel. The novel is non linear, and often changes point of view so we learn about the history of John's entire family. Gabriel in particular is a piece of work. I'm not a religious person, so while I understood the context of the Christian elements in the story (like John's trippy visions), they didn't really resonant with me and I wish John had found another means of escape. Although all the allusions allowed me to dust off my rusty biblical knowledge; I had completely forgotten about the insane Ham story. I think I will bring it up for discussion at my boyfriend's next family dinner, after they say grace. 

I think it is strange that Christianity would be the means you would use to dismantle racism or oppression, considering the historical role it has in maintaining slavery. Of course, this novel seems to condemn the hypocritical "righteousness" of religious leaders, but I'm not sure what to make of James' spiritual transformation. I feel like you could successfully argue a pro or anti religious interpretation of the novel, which as a writer is a brilliant feat to pull off.

This story actually reminded me heavily of Call It Sleep by Henry Roth. Both feature smart protagonists whose futures' are at stake due to toxic home and life environments. And while women play more minor roles, they do have a hand in smacking down their abusers in the end.

I wouldn't say I love this novel, but I do think it is a very intentional and thought-provoking story. More Baldwin please!

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

One of Time's 100 best English-language novels released from 1923 to 2005.

In 1998, the Modern Library ranked Go Tell It on the Mountain 39 on their list of the 100 best English-language novels of the 20th century.

UP NEXT: The Adventures of Augie March by Saul Bellow

No comments: