Pages

Monday, May 22, 2023

491. The Unnamable

The Unnamable
Samuel Beckett
1953
Around 190 pages











Beckett again. This time he is polishing off his trilogy, preceded by Molloy and Malone Dies. I was fully expecting the same style of abstract monologues in cramped rooms with little to no plot. God, he's predictable.

Most of this novel is one paragraph long, and I just don't really appreciate these literary gimmicks. All I really want a good story. He doesn't offer us a plot, or a main character's name, or a setting. It might have been written with the intention to be read aloud, in which case I guess it makes more sense as some sort of poetic expression. 

Not my cup of tea, and unfortunately, we still aren't even close to reaching the end of his novels on the List.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Originally published in French.

UP NEXT: The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler

No comments: