Pages

Sunday, September 10, 2023

598. Wide Sargasso Sea

Wide Sargasso Sea
Jean Rhys
1966
Around 175 pages



















I tend to roll my eyes at the constant rewrites/sequels/prequels/parodies of classic novels, particularly Jane Austen's works, which nobody will leave alone. But I have to say, this feminist update to Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre complemented the original so nicely that I now find it an essential pairing.

Remember the crazy first wife of Mr. Rochester that he kept in the attic? Well, this is her story. And I think this is why it works, because there was a hole in Bronte's novel. When you read Jane Eyre, you're not really given a satisfying explanation about the "madwoman in the attic." So this novel tells Antoinette's tale, which begins in Jamaica before her marriage to Mr. Rochester and then continues until her confinement at Thornfield Hall.

I love Rhys as a writer, and this novel handled issues of misogyny and race skillfully. I wonder what Bronte would have thought of this.

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

BBC News listed Wide Sargasso Sea on its list of the 100 most influential novels.

UP NEXT: The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien

1 comment:

Diana said...

I enjoyed this book. I love the peek into their lives from a different point of view.