Pages

Monday, September 25, 2023

614. 2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey
Arthur C. Clarke
1968
Around 220 pages












I think this is the only time that a novelization of a movie made a List. I didn't realize that was the situation at first, nor that Stanley Kubrick worked on this book as well. So my dream of enjoying this story without the, ahem, Kubrick touch, was dashed across the rocks. But this was still preferable to its aggressively boring film adaptation.

I'm still not entirely sure why we need the simian human section at the beginning of the story. I guess it's there to signify that technology can be our salvation and our downfall at the same time. I feel like it's an unwillingness on the creator's side to kill their darlings, but I'm sure many think this is a genius set up. At least, it's much more bearable than the movie version. Anyway, the main narrative focuses on the Discovery One mission to Saturn. Dr. David Bowman and Dr. Frank Poole are the only conscious humans onboard, with the other three in suspended animation. The HAL 9000 is an A.I. computer that runs a tight ship, so beware.

It's always strange when we get a cluster of novels that all deal with the same societal issue in such a short time span. First it was our cult trend, now it's A.I. It feels pretty realistic to my understanding of A.I., which, to be fair, is fairly limited to movies and listening to my programmer brother rant about how we are all doomed.

Definitely will help you make sense of the movie version, if the film didn't sour you too much on the story. Loving all the sci fi lately, but I'm sure we will back to wartime atrocities soon.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

By 1992, the novel had sold three million copies worldwide.

UP NEXT: Belle du Seigneur by Albert Cohen

1 comment:

Diana said...

The movie. Good Grief. I was not aware that there is a book: a novelization. I think I would read this IF it was the only book available. (Because I have to read, of course.)