Pages

Saturday, October 28, 2023

647. In a Free State

In a Free State
V.S. Naipaul
1971
Around 260 pages



















Out of all the literary awards in the world, I find myself most drawn to the winners of the Booker Prize, and when I've finally completed the List, that might be a new goal for me to try out. That being said, I didn't really enjoy this one, and I'm officially declaring us in a state of slump.

In a Free State consists of a frame narrative, with three short stories. The novel begins and ends with our narrator on a ferry to Egypt. My favorite story was the first one, where a servant from Bombay experiences severe culture shock after moving to the United States. 

I think at this point, it would be more shocking if an author presented us with a story in a conventional way. I did enjoy his focus on failing to adapt to a new country and pondering the idea of what it truly means to be free. But I didn't enjoy his dialogue, and thought the third story in particular was a slog. 

Not a very exciting read, but probably relatable if you are feeling like a fish out of water in a new country.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Won the Booker Prize in 1971.

UP NEXT: Surfacing by Margaret Atwood

No comments: