Pages

Monday, October 30, 2023

649. G.

G.
John Berger
1972
Around 300 pages



















I always feel hopeful when I like a novel labeled as "experimental." It makes me feel like Samuel Beckett and James Joyce haven't ruined me for other men. I enjoyed this quite a bit, and Berger's reaction to his Booker Prize win was pretty bad ass.

This is the story of G., who is a lover of women from an inappropriate age. His relationships are set against the backdrop of the failed revolution of Milanese workers in 1898, the Boer War, and the first flight over the Alps. 

I enjoyed Berger's depiction of sexuality, which demonstrated a high level of emotional intelligence. The fact that it took place during such an exciting historical context was just an added bonus to the in depth character studies. 

I didn't expect to like this one as much as I did, but the Booker committee knows best! I might have a new obsession.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

At the Booker Prize ceremony Berger criticized the sponsor Booker-McConnall for exploiting trade in the Caribbean for the past 130 years.

Berger also gave half of the prize money to the British Black Panther movement.

UP NEXT: The Summer Book by Tove Jansson

No comments: