Pages

Friday, June 23, 2023

522. The Midwich Cuckoos

The Midwich Cuckoos
John Wyndham
1957
Around 240 pages













Well, if the above picture doesn't convince you to check this creepy story out, I don't know what will. I regularly binge horror movies so children slowly turning their necks is my jam. This was a fun novel, just as fun as The Day of the Triffids. 

All the women of child-bearing age suddenly become pregnant in the village of Midwich. The women give birth to 30 girls and 31 boys, who are clearly not human. The Children, as they are dubbed, all have golden eyes, silver skin, and telepathic powers. 

I adored this novel. Just like he did with The Day of the Triffids, Wyndham immediately creates an intriguing world with a fascinating premise. I already feel like normal pregnancy resembles an alien parasite, so I found this set up delightfully unsettling. I thought this story had a more satisfying ending than Triffids, even if it is slightly more fun imagining a Piranha Plant chasing the characters on skateboards.

Luckily, we have one more Wyndham to look forward to.

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

Wyndham abandoned a sequel after just a few chapters. 

Adapted into a television series last year. I'll have to check it out!

Margaret Atwood called this Wyndham's chef d'oeuvre.

UP NEXT: Voss by Patrick White

No comments: