Pages

Monday, June 26, 2023

525. The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King
T.H. White
1958
Around 640 pages







Fantasy novels are rare on this List, so I tend to gobble them up like a greedy giant panda gorges on bamboo. This certainly isn't my favorite fantasy story, but I enjoy Arthurian tales as much as the next nerd. And I've seen every episode of Merlin (though I will deny that if you bring it up later).

Like most fantasy novels, this is a hefty lad, weighing in at over 600 pages. The Once and Future King is divided into four parts, starting with The Sword in the Stone and ending with The Candle in the Wind. We get the story of Arthur, from his early childhood training with Merlyn to his ultimate demise. As is the tradition with fantasy novels, the beginning is fairly light-hearted and the tone gradually darkens as the series progresses. 

No novel is written in a vacuum, and even though the story takes place in 14th century, it's clear the story was written for post World War II audiences. There are heavy themes involving the potential disastrous consequences of leaving evil lunatics in charge. As a fantasy fan, I was able to spot many places where my favorite authors had drawn inspiration from. I particularly enjoyed the sequence when Merlyn transforms Arthur into various animals to teach him how to be a good king. It reminded me of a favorite series from my childhood, the Animorphs (don't judge).

An essential read for any fantasy/Arthur lover. I will forever ship Merlin and Arthur.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Fantasy historian Lin Carter called it "the single finest fantasy novel written in our time, or for that matter, ever written."

X2 begins one scene with Magneto reading The Once and Future King in his prison cell.

UP NEXT: The End of the Road by John Barth

No comments: