Pages

Tuesday, June 27, 2023

526. The End of the Road

The End of the Road
John Barth
1958
Around 200 pages











I was blown away by The Floating Opera, so I successfully set myself up for disappointment with his second novel. This mostly felt like a retread of the themes that Barth had previously explored in his first book. Maybe if this had been my first Barth experience, it would seem fresher.

Jacob Horner becomes paralyzed at the Pennsylvania Railroad Station in Baltimore. An unnamed doctor takes him under his care at a private therapy center, and suggests he get a job teaching. Jacob secures a teaching position at Wicomico State Teachers College, and befriends Joe Morgan and his wife Rennie. He begins an affair with Rennie. I guess Barth was really into threesomes.

There are two women in this novel, and both women like to be hit by their partner, as a sign of "respect." In general, the women behave in an over the top manner and act as though they are always verging on hysterics. 

That being said, I do enjoy Barth's style and I find some of the interactions amusing. But I think I've had enough of the throuples. 

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Adapted into a film in 1970, and rated X for the graphic abortion scene.

Critics and Barth both condemned the film.

UP NEXT: The Bell by Iris Murdoch

No comments: