Pages

Sunday, August 6, 2023

566. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Ken Kesey
1962
Around 320 pages













Our tour of misogyny continues with One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. I was ambivalent about the movie. It's not really my thing, but I have sexually confused feelings about young Jack Nicholson, so it was fine. But the book is even uglier than the movie, and I have no desire to revisit this story ever again.

The novel is narrated by "Chief" Bromden, a giant Native American patient of a mental hospital, who pretends to be deaf and mute so everybody will leave him alone. Randle McMurphy is a rebellious criminal who faked insanity so he didn't have to serve his sentence at a work farm. Randle is constantly waging war on Nurse Ratched who is hellbent on controlling the ward.

Nurse Ratched could be a really good villain, but I feel like the patients' perception of her is so rooted in misogyny, that it's hard for me to enjoy rooting against her character. I also found the story rather predictable, which is probably because so many other novels that take place in mental hospitals have borrowed from this plot.

I guess this is a classic, but honestly it's skippable.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Time magazine included the novel in its "100 Best English-language Novels from 1923 to 2005" list.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is one of America's most challenged and banned novels.

UP NEXT: The Collector by John Fowles

1 comment:

Diana said...

I stand for the banned, but I personally don't want to read this. The movie was upsetting enough.