Pages

Sunday, August 20, 2023

577. Herzog

Herzog
Saul Bellow
1964
Around 370 pages












So here's another author that I am not too fond of, but at least it's not Pynchon. Although like Pynchon, his novels are too long and he's overrepresented on this List.

Our protagonist is Moses Herzog, who is in the midst of a midlife crisis after divorcing his second wife. He is estranged from his two children and is currently in a relationship with Ramona, who he is reluctant to commit to. Much of the novel is spent with Herzog mentally writing letters he never sends, which is actually a technique I really like.

Evelyn Waugh has spoiled me, and if a man isn't going to handle his midlife crisis by running into the Brazilian jungle, I'm really not interested. I don't think Saul Bellow has a lot of charm, and I find his writing boring. Hopefully we will get out of this rut soon. 

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

In 2005, Time magazine named it one of the 100 best novels in the English language since Time's founding in 1923.

UP NEXT: The Ravishing of Lol V. Stein by Marguerite Duras

No comments: