Pages

Wednesday, August 23, 2023

580. Albert Angelo

Albert Angelo
B.S. Johnson
1964
Around 180 pages



















B.S. are rather ominous initials. Even more damning is Samuel Beckett's praise on the cover of my edition ("A most gifted writer"). So I knew things were going to get weird.

Albert Angelo is a substitute teacher who wants to be an architect and is still in love with his ex girlfriend Jenny. The style would have made Joyce proud, and apparently the physical copies of this book have holes cut into the pages so you glimpse events ahead of the story (my copy was online). Do talented storytellers really have to resort to gimmicks to stand out? 

So I guess this was an experiment, and a novelty, but doesn't have much lasting power.

RATING: *----

Interesting Facts:

The day before his suicide he had told his agent: "I shall be much more famous once I'm dead."

UP NEXT: Come Back Dr. Caligari by Donald Barthelme

No comments: