Pages

Tuesday, August 8, 2023

567. The Collector

The Collector
John Fowles
1963
Around 285 pages




















These last three novels on this List have provided a thorough guide to men who want to hurt women. I'm ready for a change, even if the next novel takes place in a Soviet labor camp.

Frederick Clegg collects butterflies and can't talk to women. He becomes obsessed with Miranda Grey, an art student, and kidnaps her by drugging her with chloroform. He holds her in his basement at his isolated house in Sussex.

I just don't need to read these kind of stories that feature every woman's worst nightmare, unless the character ends up getting set on fire by the end. And even then, I think I'm good. I do think John Fowles is a good writer, as this was a very readable novel. But I don't need this imagery in my head, thank you very much. 

It's hard enough to fall asleep without reading stories like this. Next.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Serial killers, spree killers, kidnappers, and other criminals have claimed that The Collector was the basis, the inspiration, or the justification for their crimes. That's quite a legacy you've built, Fowles.

UP NEXT: One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

1 comment:

Diana said...

I read this book a very long time ago. Yeah, thanks for inspiring crimes, Fowles.