Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2024

775. The Old Devils

The Old Devils
Kingsley Amis
1986
Around 380 pages




















I'll be honest, I thought Kingsley Amis was already dead at this point. We already welcomed his son on the List, so um, maybe it's time to step aside? I've always found Amis to be a very bitter man. Although he is still winning prestigious awards at this point, so I take it not everybody agrees. Maybe Martin does.

Alun Weaver, a writer of minor celebrity, returns to Wales with his wife, Rhiannon, sometime girlfriend of Weaver's old acquaintance Peter Thomas. Alun begins associating with a group of former friends, including Peter. So he spends his days drinking daily in the pub with the men, he cuckolds most of them.

As with his previous work, Amis uses fiction to skewer people he hates in real life, like Dylan Thomas. I always find his comedy ineffective and mean-spirited. I wish Amis would go gently into that good night.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Won the Booker Prize.

UP NEXT: Matigari by Ngugi wa Thiong'o

No comments: