Pages

Sunday, March 10, 2024

779. Taebaek Mountains

Taebaek Mountains
Jo Jung-Rae
1983
Around 3800 pages



















Since the beginning of this project, I've known that this entry was going to be an issue. The only translation of this Korean novel is in French, and those copies are very rare. Like, only exist in one library in Botswana rare. So I knew I could concede defeat like a mentally sound individual, or obsessively track it down, even if it meant going to Botswana. 

Before I booked my ticket, I decided to give the Inter Library Loan system a try. When filling out the request, you were required to input the maximum dollar amount you were willing to spend. So I actually had to ask myself how much value I put on being able to finally complete this project. The answer wasn't high enough, apparently, so they canceled my request. Then I submitted the request again, this time with a $1000 cap. Because after all, it's not like they had my bank information on file, she thought to herself nervously as she went to sleep. I just needed to get the request approved!

Well, turns out they came through, and I didn't have to pay anything! The library receipt told me though I saved $1500 so I guess I will still wrong. My version came through Yale Library, and yes, I was very apprehensive while they were in my possession.

So the other issue was that this was in French. My French is actually okay, having taken French for seven years, so I was lucky in that regard. Still, getting through this was a grueling process. I felt like an old maester, painstaking poring over ancient scrolls far into the night. It's so difficult for me that I would hate reading my favorite book in French, so this story never held a chance of containing an enjoyable reading experience for me. But it did contain some interesting historical information which of course pisses off the Powers That Be.

Slaying this giant was like killing Voldemort. The war is finished, we just have to deal with some Death Eaters now. Then we can all call it a day.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

15700 pages of manuscripts were used.

UP NEXT: Enigma of Arrival by V.S. Naipaul

No comments: