Pages

Saturday, March 23, 2024

791. Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
Douglas Adams
1987
Around 310 pages













Douglas Adams is the funniest author I have ever read, so I'm delighted that we get to experience two of his works in a row. He's such a quotable writer, and I have to include some my favorites here:

1. "Gordon Way's astonishment at being suddenly shot dead was nothing compared to his astonishment at what happened next."
2. “He seemed more like a succession of extraordinary events than a person.”
3. "There had been a nasty moment when his life had flashed before his eyes but he had been too preoccupied with falling and had missed all the good bits."

Dirk Gently is the anti Sherlock Holmes. Holmes works by eliminating the impossible theories, while Gently lives in the impossible theories. He also loves pizza, so I really vibe with this guy. The story is very complicated to explain, but like other Adams' stories, the narrative is peppered with quirky set pieces and characters. I particularly enjoyed the sofa permanently stuck in the stairwell, and the Bach reveal. 

Very British and incredibly charming. I wouldn't expect anything less from our Doug. 

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

The genesis of the novel was in two Doctor Who serials written by Adams.

This novel caused Adams to become acquainted with the well-known scientist Richard Dawkins.

UP NEXT: The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul by Douglas Adams

1 comment:

Dessie said...

I read this as a teenager and completely couldn't get it on any level. I know this was my bad, not the book's.

It's been sitting on my bookshelf for decades ever since as I tell myself that I really should get around to giving it another go.

When are you doing a Doctor Who marathon? I've watched every minute of the first eleven doctors and have Peter Capaldi all ready to go.