Pages

Tuesday, March 26, 2024

794. The Child in Time

The Child in Time
Ian McEwan
1987
Around 265 pages



















Ian McEwan is another author capable of shattering my heart into a million pieces, and for this novel, he writes about the worst thing you can think of. I'm not a parent, but even I understand that the worst thing that is capable of happening to a human being is losing a child. I imagine a lot of people are unable to pick this novel up with such a dark central concept.

Stephen Lewis loses track of his three-year-old daughter Kate at a supermarket. Naturally, he develops a drinking problem and his wife moves away and becomes a recluse. McEwan details the pain of loss, guilt, and grief so well that it's hard to believe he's not speaking from experience.

I can't honestly recommend this novel, as it will definitely make your heart ache, and there are other wonderful McEwan reads where he doesn't twist the knife so brutally. But of course, this is a five star novel. I can't imagine choosing such a disturbing subject to write a novel about. Just thinking about having to be in that headspace...McEwan is a braver man than I.

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

Adapted into a BBC television film starring Benedict Cumberbatch.

UP NEXT: Nervous Conditions by Tsitsi Dangarembga

1 comment:

Diana said...

Yes, as a parent, this would be the worst thing. I liked reading your review but that is as close to this story as my heart can handle.