Pages

Wednesday, May 1, 2024

829. Senor Vivo and the Coca Lord

Senor Vivo and the Coca Lord
Louis de Bernieres
1991
Around 350 pages



















I am surprised when the List novels have sexual scenes that are genuinely erotic. Around here, you're lucky if the participants aren't related, or if their kinks don't involve various forms of excrement. But I guess it's not so shocking that Louis de Bernieres is the one to break this cycle. He's a romantic guy, after all.

Set in an undisclosed South American country, the novel follows philosophy lecturer Dionisio Vivo who becomes the enemy of the ruthless coca lord El Jerarca after publicly criticizing the drug trade. El Jararca is most likely based on Pablo Escobar, and the country is likely Colombia, due to geographical and political hints and the fact that de Bernieres lived there. By not naming this invented country, he can form an amalgam that highlights the prominent issues of the entire continent. Also, it's probably a much safer choice for him personally.

I guess the sex scenes aren't what is most important here. But damn. Okay, I'm ready to move on. I appreciated de Bernieres' homage to magical realism. Obviously a depressing story but de Bernieres is a sentimental enough writer that I didn't leave completely hopeless. I can't get enough of this guy.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Second of his Latin American trilogy.

UP NEXT: Downriver by Iain Sinclair

1 comment:

Diana said...

Interesting. I find I am aften pulled into the stories that take place in an undisclosed country. I can let my imagination join with the writer's.