Pages

Monday, May 27, 2024

855. Life is a Caravanserai

Life is a Caravanserai
Emine Sevgi Ozdamar
1994
Around 300 pages











To my knowledge, this is the only Turkish novel on the List, so it's nice to check off another country before we bid our güle güle. Unfortunately, I really did not enjoy this novel, so apologies for Turkey that this diplomatic attempt failed.

A basically plotless story that I guess is a fictionalized memoir of the author's experience growing up in Turkey in 1950s and 60s. It was mostly stream of consciousness, with many repeated phrases and weird structural choices. 

Also, there was a lot of flatulence, which I guess was an attempt to be funny, but that's never been my humor. Just one to get through as quickly as possible.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Ozdamar won the 1991 Ingeborg Bachmann Prize.

UP NEXT: The Secret History by Donna Tartt

No comments: