Pages

Friday, May 3, 2024

831. Vertigo

Vertigo
W.G. Sebald
1990
Around 265 pages



















It's always a little jarring when authors include photos in their works. It strikes me as something you would see in undergrad as a final project, but I recognize my snobby ways and want to change. That's what matters, right?

Unfortunately, this story has nothing to do with Kim Novak, and is instead a strangle collection of tales. We get a biography of Stendhal, a short glimpse at the life of Kafka, and a couple travelogues. So disjointed, but intentionally so.

I don't have too much to say about this one. Sebald didn't overstay his welcome, and I'm a Stendhal/Kafka fan girl, so all that worked. Other authors have captured the spirit of nostalgia better, but this was still decent. 

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Translated into English by Michael Hulse in partnership with Sebald.

UP NEXT: Vineland by Thomas Pynchon

No comments: