Pages

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

73. The Monastery

The Monastery
Sir Walter Scott
1820
Around 350 pages












First of all, thank you so much everyone for voting in the poll.  Your input really means a lot to me.  Jackasses.

Moving on, we have our third Scott novel on the list, The Monastery.  I loved Ivanhoe, I liked Rob Roy, and I hated this novel.  Scott really should have quit when he was ahead.

Half textbook, half melodrama, I can't really tell what kind of person would enjoy this novel.  I suppose historians would find the setting intriguing but the lame love story would no doubt get on their nerves.  It certainly got on mine.

This the story of two brothers who end up falling for the same girl during the Scottish Reformation.  Amazingly enough, it was actually more dull than it sounds.  Scott has a very distinct writing style that makes it easy to zone out.

Overall, just a huge snore; Scott is getting worse and worse in my book.  Hopefully, this is the last we see of him.

RATING: *----

Interesting Facts:

One of Scott's Tales of Bendictine sources.  I know that is not even slightly interesting but I did not have a lot to go with on this one.

No comments: