Pages

Friday, October 4, 2024

985. What I Loved

What I Loved
Siri Hustvedt
2002
Around 370 pages



















I am probably the only one obsessed with the fact that Siri Hustvedt and Paul Auster are married. They are both geniuses and I just have so many questions about the relationship. Are they competitive with each other? Do they let each other read first drafts? Do they host terrifying dinner parties, and if so, how do I get an invite? Anyway, they are my OTP, and we have another masterpiece on our hands.

Leo is an art historian who befriends an up and coming artist Bill. Bill is married to Lucille, a poet, and Leo is married to Erica, a literary academic. The two couples grow closer and move into the same building, and even have sons at around the same time. I don't want to give away much more about how the relationships unfold, but suffice to say, the story hits you right in the emotional crotch.

This is a very dark novel that is dripping with suspense, but it is also funny and real. I'm in awe about how many themes she was able to pack into this novel without damaging the flow or pacing. It reminded me of Donna Tartt, but I personally enjoy Hustvedt more, even if she twists the knife more deeply.

Can't recommend this highly enough, and I have to go devour everything else she has ever written.

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

In a discussion of the September 11 attacks, Hustvedt describes New York as "as much an idea as an actual place."

UP NEXT: The Light of Day by Graham Swift

No comments: