Pages

Tuesday, October 8, 2024

989. Drop City

Drop City
T.C. Boyle
2003
Around 465 pages













T.C. Boyle's style is not something I enjoy, and I would've never asked him out for this second date. But here we are, forced to hang out again. 

Set in the 1960s and 70s, the novel tells the story of the hippie nudist commune Drop City, although Boyle has his counter-culturalists move to Alaska, where they have more in common with the Morning Star commune. 

This novel is a throwback to our drug-fueled stories of the 70s, which never held much interest to me. If you're not tripping with these people, it's never very fun. The actions of the characters were deeply upsetting, and Boyle could have easily told this story in 225 pages. His works strike me as bloated and smug.

Also, the humor didn't land for me. Skippable.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Finalist for the National Book Award.

UP NEXT: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time by Mark Haddon

No comments: