Pages

Monday, July 1, 2024

890. The Moor's Last Sigh

The Moor's Last Sigh
Salman Rushdie
1995
Around 435 pages



















Rushdie is one of those authors that I just don't enjoy, but the List will continue to set us up on dates together, like some sort of hellbent cupid who can't pick up on body language. So I must keep ragging on a guy who was stabbed over his writing, which doesn't feel entirely righteous. Sorry Salman.

Moraes Zogoiby, who is called "Moor," is an exceptional character, whose body ages twice as fast as normal and also has a deformed hand. Rushdie actually kept fixating on the deformed hand and as someone with a deformed hand myself... shut up about the deformed hand.

In Rushdie's strange worlds, I never feel like any character behaves in a believable way, but I guess that is part of his unique appeal. It is also jam-packed with allusions that I don't get (who on Earth is William Babington Macauley?). 

Still, I found this more enjoyable than his previous works, so I guess we are moving in a positive direction? 

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Won the Whitbread prize for Best Novel.

UP NEXT: The Information by Martin Amis

No comments: