Pages

Thursday, July 18, 2024

908. The Life of Insects

The Life of Insects
Victor Pelevin
1993
Around 180 pages












I love that literature can still surprise me, even in my List twilight years. I was not expecting A Bug's Life: Russian Genius Edition, especially after Pelevin's last work.

All the characters in the novel are both insects/people, although thankfully not in the creepy Jeff Goldblum way. The book contains 15 unrelated short stories, and the characters represent distinct archetypes of the time. For example, a father and son scarab beetle pair that are obsessed with dung (or as we humans see it, money). 

I really liked the structure and how the stories read as digestible fables. It took me back to our Aesop days, and felt like something a Buddhist philosopher might have come up with. An enjoyable and unique collection.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts: 

First published in the magazine Znamya.

UP NEXT: Jack Maggs by Peter Carey

No comments: