Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2024

901. Hallucinating Foucault

Hallucinating Foucault
Patricia Duncker
1996
Around 200 pages



















I was ready to back away from this novel slowly based on the title alone, but this turned out to be a pleasant surprise. What can I say, I'm a sucker for homosexual love stories with literary references.

A postgrad student goes to France to meet the author he is writing his thesis on, Paul Michel. They end up hooking up. This is the kind of fan fiction I can get onboard with. 

There is some interesting commentary here on the nature of academics and how little grasp we actually have on the lives of well known historical and contemporary figures. Personally, I enjoy novels about writers, though I know other people find those stories masturbatory and exhausting. This story does get layered and complicated, but I think Duncker's style and brevity prevents this novel from being unbearably pretentious.

100 left!

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Won the Dillions First Fiction Award.

UP NEXT: Cocaine Nights by J.G. Ballard

No comments: