Pages

Sunday, September 1, 2024

952. The Devil and Miss Prym

The Devil and Miss Prym
Paulo Coehlo
2000
Around 205 pages




















I am obsessed with Paulo Coelho, even if I can't pronounce his name with confidence. He is one of those authors who creates short novels based on unique but simple premises. He's almost like the M.Night Shyamalan of authors, although he's much better than that.

A strange man comes to a quiet village, and shows the listless Miss Prym a place in the woods that he has stashed gold. He promises to give the gold to the village, if a murder happens in the allotted time. Miss Prym makes a counter proposal that if nobody is killed, she gets to the keep the gold. 

I find these types of moral quandaries fascinating, and Coelho always populates his novels with thoughtful and philosophical characters. I enjoyed watching Coelho tackle the questions of good vs. evil, and the ethical implications of the concept of an omniscient god. 

I'm not always eager to see adaptations of my favorite novels on screen, but I think this would make a great film. Looking forward to more Coelho!

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

At the age of 17, Coehlo was committed to a mental institution and escaped three times.

UP NEXT: An Obedient Father by Akhil Sharma

No comments: