Pages

Friday, August 30, 2024

951. Spring Flowers, Spring Frost

Spring Flowers, Spring Frost
Ismail Kadare
2000
Around 195 pages
















I am convinced I read this novel twice. The story of the bride and the snake felt very familiar, but maybe that's just a well-known fairy tale. Oh well, there is always something more to get out of a reread. 

The story is somewhat all over the place, but part of the plot involves a woman forced to marry a snake as punishment to her father. But don't worry, he becomes a hot guy at night. I actually listened to the audio version of this book, as I had difficulty tracking down a physical copy. And I just have to say, the voice the narrator put on for the snake was very sexy. No wonder the bride got so attached.

I enjoyed the blend of magical realism and folklore, it reminded me of the mythological tales I read at the beginning of the List, so many moons ago. You have to wonder how much was lost in translation from the original Albanian, but this still offered a rich tour of Alabanian history and culture. 

I liked this more than the previous Kadare work, so the fella is growing on me.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

The English translation was based on the French translation, not the original Albanian.

UP NEXT: The Devil and Miss Prym by Paulo Coehlo

No comments: