Pages

Sunday, July 9, 2023

539. Cider with Rosie

Cider with Rosie
Laurie Lee
1959
Around 285 pages












Don't be silly, Laurie Lee is a man. It's only been two entries since we had a female author, so we aren't due for another 40 books. Instead, this is an autobiography depicting Lee's younger years in England after World War I. Yawn.

The book is divided into vignettes that explore different themes from Lee's life. Obviously, the one that stood out to me is the one where he is planning to rape an overweight girl on her way from church with his friends. They end up chickening out, although it's hard to say why, but I still found it upsetting. 

Usually, I can get into heavy detail about everyday life in novels, but I didn't find Lee's prose charming enough to stay interested. I don't feel like he did anything particularly innovative, but this will be enjoyable for people who enjoy reading about this period.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Sold over six million copies.

The identity of Rosie was revealed years later to be Lee's distant cousin Rosalind Buckland.

UP NEXT: The Tin Drum by Gunter Grass

No comments: