Pages

Sunday, July 30, 2023

561. Labyrinths

Labyrinths
Jorge Luis Borges
1962
Around 260 pages



















I've already checked off Borges' previous work on this List, Ficciones. Labyrinths is a collection that features 13 stories from Ficciones, which meant I was halfway done with this book before I even started. Luckily, there were also some new stories, essays, and parables for me to sink my greedy fangs into. 

I don't know if I have ever read an author who has read as much as Borges. He references such a wide range of texts, that I swear he would have been a fellow List-er if he had been around for the glorious 1001 era. 

This is a short and easily digestible collection. If I had to pick out a favorite story, it would still be The Garden of the Forking Paths. I did enjoy reading his essays, particularly "The Argentine Writers and Tradition." I love it when writers write about writing.

It's strange that the List included basically a repeat, but of course, I'm happing to read anything Borges comes up with...again.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

In 2008 the London Society of Authors selected this as one of 50 outstanding translations from the last 50 years.

UP NEXT: The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing

No comments: