Pages

Wednesday, July 12, 2023

542. Billy Liar

Billy Liar
Keith Waterhouse
1959
Around 190 pages











Well, this novel gave me a great new insult to try out ("Look what's crawled out of the cheese."). Other than that, it didn't leave much of an impression.

Billy is a working class 19 year old who lives with his parents and grandmother in Yorkshire. He is also a compulsive liar, and is engaged to two women. Did I mention I hate Billy?

I guess this spawned all sorts of adaptations, so other people were more charmed by Billy than I was. It is a very British story that I can see resonating with people with a similar upbringing. Unfortunately, I am an American, so. Forgettable.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Adapted into a play, a film, a musical and a TV series.

UP NEXT: Absolute Beginners by Colin MacInnes

No comments: