Pages

Sunday, July 23, 2023

553. Cat and Mouse

Cat and Mouse
Gunter Grass
1961
Around 200 pages



















Well, that didn't leave quite as much of an impression as The Tin Drum. Oskar Matzerah is a hard act to follow. 

Our narrator Pilenz tells us about his friend Joachim Mahlke, who disappears near the end of World War II. Pilenz isn't that concerned with telling us Mahlke's story in chronological order, and it's also unclear who he is talking to (Mahlke or the reader?). For this reason, I found it rather difficult to follow, though I understand the reasoning behind the choices Grass made.

I was disappointed by this just because I liked his previous work. This was still a well written story, just not particularly memorable. I do always appreciate it when our authors can keep it short and I don't have to start playing the wrap it up musical cue.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

 John Irving called Grass "simply the most original and versatile writer alive."

UP NEXT: The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark

No comments: