Pages

Tuesday, April 16, 2024

814. London Fields

London Fields
Martin Amis
1989
Around 470 pages




















Kingsley Amis briefly reared his ugly head on this List again, but now we are back on our Martin reads. As I have made abundantly clear, I prefer the younger Amis, but this was still a rough read. It felt like a worse version of a John Fowles novel, and I'm not surprised the movie adaptation was a mess.

The story is narrated by Samson Young, an American writer living in London who has had writer's block for 20 years and is now terminally ill. He meets Keith Talent, a small time criminal and aspiring professional darts player, at Heathrow and later encounters Nicola Six who knows that she will be murdered a few minutes after midnight on 5 November 1999 and is searching for her killer.

This is a very meta story, and like most meta stories, it is firmly lodged up in its own ass. None of the characters are likable, and of course Nicola is a strange composite of male fantasies, rather than a real person. On the other hand, I really enjoyed the setting of this one and it's interesting to see Amis' version of 1999.

Skip!

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Film adaptation bombed and Amber Heard was nominated for Worst Actress.

UP NEXT: Moon Palace by Paul Auster

1 comment:

Diana said...

If you have writer's block for twenty years, are you still a writer? I need to ponder this. I don't think I want to read this book... and yet, I have many questions about these characters. thanks for this review!