Pages

Wednesday, April 24, 2024

822. The Midnight Examiner

The Midnight Examiner
William Kotzwinkle
1989
Around 320 pages



















As much as I love the name Kotzwinkle, I haven't been too impressed by his work, and I don't think he is worthy of two entries. If it's the first page, and I am already grossed out, I don't feel like the rest of the novel has much promise.

Howard Halliday is the editor of the Midnight Examiner, which is a trashy tabloid (I guess that's redundant). It's an absurd story with absurd characters, set against the grimy backdrop of New York City in the 80s. 

This is very male centric humor, so that aspect completely fell flat for me. It definitely gets off to a slow start, I guess it picks up towards the middle, but by then I was completely uninterested in the characters. Next!

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Kotzwinkle wrote the story for Nightmare on Elm Street 4. 

UP NEXT: The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

No comments: