Pages

Saturday, April 20, 2024

818. Like Life

Like Life
Lorrie Moore
1990
Around 200 pages



















We are in the 90s, otherwise known as the decade of Amanda! And we usher in the new decade with Lorrie Moore, who I fell in love with after reading Anagrams. Unfortunately, I could only find a free audio version of this short story collection, which is not my preferred method of consumption. 

This collection (ahem, not a novel, ahem) features eight short stories, all written in Moore's trademark humorous and philosophical style. Her characters are clever and goofy, and she definitely thrives in the short story format, as she is capable of coming up with concise and shrewd lines.

I definitely see myself reading all of her work in the future, once the List makes me stop hanging out with Salman Rushdie.

RATING: *****-

Interesting Facts:

In 1980, Moore enrolled in Cornell University's M.F.A. program, where she was taught by Alison Lurie.

UP NEXT: A Home at the End of the World by Michael Cunningham

No comments: