Pages

Sunday, April 28, 2024

826. Amongst Women

Amongst Women
John McGahern
1990
Around 185 pages









Plot twist! I actually liked this Irish novel. The List still has a few surprises in store for me I guess. The central character in this story, Michael Moran, is also a complete tyrant, but I still found myself having a soft spot for him. Maybe because he reminded me of King Lear, and I love anything that pays homage to my main man (Shakespeare, not Lear).

Michael Moran is weak and depressed, and thinks his best days were spent serving in the IRA. His daughters decide to recreate Monaghan Day, an event that Moran once enjoyed. Part of the reason Moran liked Monaghan Day was that his wartime friend McQuaid would visit and reminisce, until Moran ended the friendship. In general, he is a brat, and a burden to his wife and children, who still respect him. 

This is a rather slow paced, carefully laid out novel, which provides the perfect tempo for getting to know these characters. Some authors, like James Kelman, make you feel completely at sea if you're not native to the culture of the novel, but McGahern painted a portrait of Ireland that was comprehensive and accessible. 

Of course, Moran is a frustrating character, but I really enjoyed the daughters and the relationship to the patriarchy that Moran represented. An interesting find.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Adapted into a four part television series in 1998.

UP NEXT: Get Shorty by Elmore Leonard

1 comment:

Diana said...

I'm amazed I haven't heard about this book. Sounds really interesting!