Pages

Saturday, February 20, 2021

273. Night and Day

Night and Day
Virginia Woolf
1919
Around 500 pages












Now that this is the only 1001 blog I have left (I finished the music and movie blog), I look forward to writing blog posts more. It also has inspired me to spruce things up around here, so this blog might be getting a makeover soon. The List is feeling a little stale right now, as we ping pong between familiar authors. I guess it's up to me to bring the spruce.

Katharine Hilbery is the granddaughter of a distinguished poet, and thus belongs to the upper class. Katharine is engaged to William Rodney, who should taken public speaking off his list of attributes. Katharine attracts the attention of Ralph Denham, a lawyer who actually has to work for a living to support his long list of dependents. He doesn't realize that Mary Datchet, a suffragette, is in love with him regardless of his social standing. 

Virginia Woolf is clearly still in the early stages of her career, when the plot is much more coherent and the structure less experimental. And I like this Woolf. She seems like the type of person who would catch your eye during a dinner party and make it difficult not to laugh at some social snafu. I liked the love square, as well. It felt like a Shakespearean comedy.

Probably not a necessary addition, since she already covered a lot of this ground in The Voyage Out, but I enjoyed it.

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

Published following Woolf's second suicide attempt.

UP NEXT: Women in Love by D.H. Lawrence. Not many other sequels on the List.

No comments: