Pages

Saturday, February 27, 2021

274. Women in Love

Women in Love
D.H. Lawrence
1920
Around 530 pages





This book brings back some memories of boyfriends past. I was once dragged to a volleyball tournament, which I mistakenly thought would last a couple hours long. Cut to eight hours later, when I was desperately trying to combat a migraine from lack of food and trying to fix something I call "Gymnasium Hair." Anyway, at least I had this book to keep me company, which I read and finished during my incarceration. 

We pick up where we left off from The Rainbow. Ursula and Gudrun are sisters living in the Midlands of England. They meet a local school inspector, Rupert Birkin, and the heir to a coal mine, Gerald Crich. Ursula and Birkin begin a romantic relationship, while Gudrun and Crich form a romantic bond of their own. One is much smoother than the other.

My love for D.H. Lawrence is well documented at this point, but we still have quite a ways to go before we are finished with him. I will say his writing style is superb as always, and once again, he is racy for his time. It's interesting to see him elaborate on themes from The Rainbow as he gains more confidence as a writer. 

Are you a Gudrun or an Ursula? Comment below!

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Gudrun's character was partly based off of Katherine Mansfield, while Gerald Crich is based off of her husband.

UP NEXT: Main Street by Sinclair Lewis.

No comments: