Pages

Saturday, February 18, 2023

421. The Poor Mouth

The Poor Mouth
Flann O'Brien
1941
Around 115 pages



















Once again, the Irish are depending on us to have a detailed understanding of their culture to grasp what's going on in the plot. Or, you know, they are just writing stories for Irish people and are wishing I would butt out. Sorry Irish people, my butt goes where the List tells me to go.

This novel was actually written in the Irish language, and I obviously read the English version. Apparently the story is a parody of typical Irish autobiographies that were frequently assigned as required reading for generations of young Irish folks. I guess you had to be there. The story is set in a remote area of Ireland where everybody is experiencing extreme poverty and maintaining the Irish culture is paramount.

This is a short one to get through, but pretty challenging for a non native reader to understand. O'Brien once said, "I declare to God if I hear that name Joyce one more time I will surely froth at the gob," which makes me like him more.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Published under the pseudonym "Myles na gCopaleen." That rolls off the tongue.

Adapted into a play in 1967, but was pulled after only three days.

UP NEXT: Conversations in Sicily by Elio Vittorini

No comments: