Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2023

424. Go Down, Moses

Go Down, Moses
William Faulkner
1942
Around 385 pages


















Are you tired of hearing me complain about William Faulkner? Me too, which is why I am thrilled to announce that this is the last Faulkner on the List. Usually I do a ranking, but I hated them all the same. That's not true, I hated The Sound and the Fury just a little bit more.

This isn't even really a novel, it's a collection of short stories that Faulkner considered later to be a novel. Whatever you say, Willy, let's just try to get through this. We start with an absolutely horrific story where two men gamble and bet over women and slaves. I don't really want to get into the plots of the rest of these. They are historically true to the South, and very upsetting in their racism.

Praise Farore, we are finally done with this guy. His subject matter is very disturbing to me, and I detest his writing style. Also, I have resentments against him that have to do with my English undergrad degree. Good riddance to bad luggage.

RATING: *----

Interesting Facts:

Faulkner was awarded the 1949 Nobel Prize in Literature for "his powerful and artistically unique contribution to the modern American novel."

UP NEXT: Embers by Sandor Marai

No comments: