Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2023

431. The Razor's Edge

The Razor's Edge
William Somerset Maugham
1944
Around 315 pages




















I was kind of disappointed with Cakes and Ale given the enormous expectations I put on Maugham after Of Human Bondage. But we are right back on track with this novel. We've had a really good run lately, 1944 ruled! Okay, too far, I'll pull it back.

Larry Darrell is an American pilot suffering from PTSD after his experiences in World War I. He is betrothed to Isabel Bradley, but jeopardizes the engagement when he announces he plans to live off his inheritance instead of getting a job as a stockbroker. As in the case with any Maugham novel, there is a rich variety of side characters. For some reason, I found myself really connecting with Elliot, Isabel's eccentric and snobbish uncle.  He's an American expat whose frank self-awareness of his own desperation for approval was equal parts hilarious and tragic.

This is the last Maugham book, which is a sincere bummer. Why is everybody leaving me? Here's the official ranking, which I already kind of spoiled:

1. Of Human Bondage
2. The Razor's Edge
3. Cakes and Ale

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

Adapted in 1984 with Bill Murray.

The title comes from a translation of a verse in the Katha Upanishad, paraphrased as: "The sharp edge of a razor is difficult to pass over; thus the wise say the path to Salvation is hard."

UP NEXT: Transit by Anna Seghers

No comments: