Pages

Monday, February 27, 2023

430. Ficciones

Ficciones
Jorge Luis Borges
1944
Around 175 pages



















I had read this before in an undergrad class, where you are forced to dissect beloved stories until they are nothing more than bloody entrails and a hollow corpse. However, in this case, I was able to sustain my enjoyment through several term papers. That's the magic of Borges!

This is another collection of short stories, which only bothers me when I hate the author. You can tell that Borges loves telling stories and is a huge reader. All of the stories share the common motif of a labyrinth, with the most unforgettable story being The Garden of the Forked Paths. I've thought about that climax for years (how often can you say that?).

I might be wrong, but I believe this is the first Argentinian novel on the List. Always nice to hear from a non Western country which makes up 95% of this List. Borges is a beautiful writer, it's obvious that the man is a poet.

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

One of Le Monde's 100 Books of the Century.

Dedicated to writer Esther Zemborain de Torres Duggan, a friend and collaborator of Borges'.

UP NEXT: The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham

No comments: