Pages

Monday, January 1, 2024

710. City Primeval

City Primeval
Elmore Leonard
1980
Around 275 pages












In all the excitement of criticizing Umberto Eco, I forgot to herald in the 1980s. To me, Elmore Leonard is the quintessential 80s author, so it's more fitting to do it with him anyway. Welcome to the party pal!

"Oklahoma Wildman" Clement Mansell kills a crooked Detroit judge. Homicide Detective Raymond Cruz pursues him. I never want to give too much away with crime novels, but Leonard tells a well-paced and gritty story that would make his ancestors (e.g. Raymond Chandler) proud. 

I always like to read Elmore Leonard on beach vacations. They are all fast reads that don't sacrifice quality. Given the fact that Timothy Olyphant is in the miniseries adaptation, I will definitely have to tune in during my private Mandy time.

Looking forward to Leonard's other entries!

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Adapted into a Justified sequel in 2023.

UP NEXT: A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

No comments: