Pages

Tuesday, January 30, 2024

739. Fools of Fortune

Fools of Fortune
William Trevor
1983
Around 210 pages




















I wish I had known when I was reading this that the film adaptation starred Iain Glen as Willie. That visualization would have greatly, ahem, enhanced my enjoyment of his scenes. That is one handsome feller.

During the Irish War of Independence, Willie loses his family, with the exception of his mother, to an attack by the Black and Tans. He falls in love with his cousin Marianne, because that is not so incestuous during this time period. 

If we don't factor in the creepy schoolteacher, I thought this was a great novel. The historical backdrop was fascinating. Willie was a likable but passive protagonist, and it was interesting that the perspective shifts from Willie to Marianne during their romance, so we never really get to see Willie be proactive. But hey, some of my best friends are reactive main characters, so I'm fine with it.

I finally have an Irish author that I like! Thanks Willie!

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

The Washington Post described the film adaptation as "a passionate, mystifyingly awkward bit of filmmaking."

UP NEXT: Worstward Ho by Samuel Beckett

No comments: