Pages

Thursday, January 11, 2024

720. The Names

The Names
Don DeLillo
1982
Around 340 pages



















For whatever reason, I could only locate an audio version of the story. But a format change can be a good way to try to click with an author that you haven't been gelling with yet. It's like when couples in bad marriages take salsa lessons together. 

The novel follows James Axton, an American risk analyst, who encounters a series of murders related to a clandestine cult that is obsessed with the significance and power of names. We also explore his relationship with Kathryn, his estranged wife, and their son, Tap, who is working on a non fiction novel.

Sure, I'm jealous of Tap's intellect, but I also think he is an unbelievable character. DeLillo's worlds never feel real or true to me. But the fascination with language was entertaining, and every once in awhile, he comes up with a sentence or description that forces me to pause in appreciation. 

I feel like this could have been a tighter story, but still impressive.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Optioned for a film adaptation in 2015.

UP NEXT: Concrete by Thomas Bernhard

No comments: