Pages

Monday, January 22, 2024

731. A Boy's Own Story

A Boy's Own Story
Edmund White
1982
Around 220 pages




















Two gay novels in a row! See, I knew gay people existed, despite what the List was telling me. 

Our narrator begins the story at 15, and is just starting to explore his sexuality as a gay person. And let me just say, he seems to have a lot of opportunities to take things out for a spin, if you know what I mean. I don't recall being presented with as many chances to have homosexual encounters just in day to day living when I was growing up. But maybe it's like the Leaky Cauldron; it's invisible to muggles like me.

I really enjoyed this novel. I loved our narrator, and it was fascinating seeing all the ways the men in the story tried to rationalize their homosexuality. For some, it's something you put in a box and get over by marrying a woman (a big thank you to those fellas on behalf of the ladies). For others, they just think of it as a part of growing up, a sort of pre show to heterosexual experiences to come. It's sad that it's so foreign to just embrace it as a part of your identity.

I like that the narrator thought his homosexual impulses would be curbed by going to an all boys boarding school. Good call there, buddy.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

First in a trilogy.

UP NEXT: If Not Now, When? by Primo Levi

No comments: